- ITBPF was conceived on October 24, 1962 under the CRPF Act in the wake of the Chinese conflict.
- It has been entrusted with the responsibility of guarding the 3488 km long India – China border from Karakoram Pass in Ladakh to Jachep La in Arunachal Pradesh
- ITBPF also provides security to VVIP/VIPs and protects vital installations which include Rashtrapati Bhawan, the Vice President’s House, Parliament House and Raj Bhawan in Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Played a decisive role in combating militancy in Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir and the North- East and has now been inducted in Chhattisgarh for anti – Naxal operations.
- ITBPF also provides security cover to the yatris of Kailash Mansarover Yatra.
- UN peace keeping operations: The Force personnel have been deployed for peacekeeping operations in Angola, Namibia, Cambodia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Mozambique and Kosovo.
- Commemorative stamp dedicated to the force was released in Oct 2012.