- In February 2012, the World Health Organization removed India from the list of polio endemic countries. Now the goal is to get ourselves declared polio free.
- We have put in place an Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan which we are committed to implement in all States across the country.
- Under this plan, a case of poliovirus anywhere in the country will be treated as a public health emergency.
- Rapid Response Teams have been formed in all the States and Union Territories, to effectively respond to any case of polio importation.
- Nation-wide Immunization campaign for Polio Eradication will start on 20th January 2013, in which more than 170 million children of less than 5 years of age will be given polio drops.